Spocket vs Modalyst
Reliable suppliers are the key to any successful dropshipping business. This is why you must be very careful in choosing your suppliers. Of course, you can research suppliers of your own. But, dropshipping platforms like Spocket or Modalyst makes the task much, much easier.
When you plan to start dropshipping, it is wise to analyze the features of these platforms. And it is for that reason, we are sharing this Spocket vs Modalyst comparison. This article is going to help you find out which is the better choice for you.
Why should you use platforms like Spocket or Modalyst?
First of all, let us understand how Spocket or Modalyst makes dropshipping easier.
In general, partnering with a good dropshipping platform has several advantages. For example,
- Dropshipping platforms do not restrict your catalog to a single supplier. Spocket or Modalyst lets you sell a variety of products sourced from many suppliers.
- In dropshipping platforms, suppliers are vetted. Store owners review the suppliers and rate them. So, it becomes easy for you to shortlist the best supplier with whom you can partner with.
- Platforms like Modalyst or Spocket has inbuilt bolt-on apps for different eCommerce platforms. This allows you to integrate the platforms with your shop very with less complexity. In other words, you can avoid hassles of tweaking your storefront for integration.
This is all the context that we need for this Spocket vs Modalyst comparison. With this primer, let us now compare Spocket and Modalyst to find which is better for you.
Spocket vs Modalyst – Features to Compare
In this Modalyst and Spocket comparison we will cover:
- Getting started
- Importing products
- Platforms supported
- Supplier quality
Please note that some of the links on this article are our affiliate links. If you follow these links to buy anything on our partner websites, we will receive a small commission. This helps us to cover the running cost of this website.
We will start this Spocket vs Modalyst comparison with a brief informative history of the two platforms.
Founded in 2017, Spocket has quickly gained impressive popularity. Spocket lets you dropship quality products from handpicked US and European suppliers. As a platform, Spocket supports both Shopify and WooCommerce.
Founded in 2012, Modalyst is a platform that makes it simple to sell niche products in your store. As a platform, Modalyst integrates with Wix, Shopify, and BigCommerce.
Let us now dive into details of the features of these two dropshipping platforms. The final goal of this Spocket vs Modalyst comparison is to find which is the better platform of the two.
We will begin this comparison between Spocket and Modalyst with the basics. Let us first look into the steps you should follow to create an account in these two platforms.
Getting started with Spocket
Getting started with Spocket is super simple.
- Visit the Spocket website.
- Click on the button Sign up for free now.
- You must provide your name and email address to create an account in Spocket. If you want, you can specify the products you intend to sell. You can even connect to Spocket using your Gmail or Facebook account.
- To import a product from Spocket, you must connect your store with Spocket first.
The thing to note is you can sign up for a Spocket account free of any upfront charge or need of a credit card.
Getting started with Modalyst
Getting started with Modalyst also follows a similar approach.
- Visit the Modalyst website.
- Click on the button Start for Free.
- Provide your name and email to sign up. You must also select if you are a retailer or a supplier.
- After you click on the Start For Free button on this signup form, you will have to provide more information like
- Name of your business.
- The location of your customer base.
- Primary categories of goods that you want to sell.
- eCommerce platform you use.
Spocket vs Modalyst: Modalyst registration flow needs more information even to test the system. In comparison, Spocket has a streamlined and easy registration process. For me, Spocket is the clear winner here.
After you connect your store with Spocket or Modalyst, you must import products to your shop. In this section, we will see how to import products to your store from Modalyst vs Spocket.
Importing products from Spocket
With Spocket, you can import products to your store by following the steps below:
- Login to your Spocket account.
- Search the product that you want to sell.
- Hover over the product listing and click Add to Import List.
- Next, head over to Import List and view the product.
- Click on Push to Store to import the products to your store.
- Finally, visit the Product List page and click on View Listing. This will let you see the item on your Shopify or WooCommerce store.
Importing products from Modalyst
Importing products from Modalyst is also straight forward.
- Login to your Modalyst dashboard.
- Click on Find Products.
- Search the products you want to import.
- When you have shortlisted a product, click on the button Add to Import list.
- After adding a product to your import list, you can edit its descriptions before pushing it to your store.
- You can push individual or bulk products to your store from the import list.
Modalyst vs Spocket: Both Spocket and Modalyst offer similar features. It is a tie between Spocket and Modalyst.
Spocket vs Modalyst: Branding
In a dropshipping business, ensure that your supplier is invisible to your customer. One of the many ways to achieve this is by using branded invoices for all your shipments.
Let us see between Spocket and Modalyst which is better.
How to create branded invoices with Spocket?
With Spocket you can setup branded invoicing using the following steps:
- Log in to your Spocket account.
- Click on Settings.
- Navigate to the Branded Invoicing tab and enable branded invoicing.
- Provide the contact email and phone number.
- If you are on a paid subscription plan, you can add a logo and a personalized note.
Remember that branded invoicing is not currently available for all suppliers on Spocket. When you add a product to your import list, check if the supplier supports branded invoicing. This information is available in the product description.
How to create branded invoices in Modalyst?
Like Spocket, Modalyst also does not include any links to the supplier’s store in the invoices. So, the supplier’s information will anyway be invisible to your customers.
A sample invoice will look something like:
Modalyst vs Spocket: Both Modalyst and Spocket offer similar features for branding and customization. But, you must note that you can add a logo and personalized note only with a paid Spocket plan.
Also, as we said, all suppliers on Spocket do not support branded invoicing at present.Modalyst offers customized invoices even with the free plan. It is because of this, I will give an edge to Modalyst.
In dropshipping you connect your store to Spocket or Modalyst. So, it is important to check if these platforms support your eCommerce software.
Unless you are starting a store from scratch, this will often be the key deciding factor.
Spocket – WooCommerce, Shopify
Spocket supports Shopify and WooCommerce. You can import your products and automate order processing in both these platforms. If you are using either of these two popular eCommerce platforms, Spocket has you covered.
Modalyst – Shopify, BigCommerce, Wix
The Modalyst platform supports Shopify, BigCommerce, and Wix. There is seamless integration between Modalyst and these eCommerce platforms.
Considering the market share of WooCommerce, no idea why Modalyst does not support it.
Modalyst vs Spocket: This is a subjective decision. If you are using Shopify for your store, you can use either Spocket or Modalyst. But, if you are using anything else, you will run short of options.
For me, considering the support for the WooCommerce platform, Spocket has an edge here.
In dropshipping, the success of your store depends on the quality of your suppliers. It is important to work with a dropshipping platform having more reliable suppliers.
Spocket is a platform that lets you sell quality products from US and EU suppliers. This may result in little expensive items. But this also indicates a stronger quality control.
User testimonials also tell us that products listed on Spocket have better quality. Shop owners like you rate the suppliers in Spocket to help you identify the better partner.
Modalyst lists a curated selection of international and independent suppliers. This dropshipping platform specializes in fashion apparel and accessories. Recently Modalyst has also expanded to home goods, beauty products and, electronics niche.
Modalyst works with suppliers from all over the world. But, the majority of suppliers on this platform are from the United States.
One important thing to note is none of the suppliers on Modalyst are wholesalers. Modalyst works with independent designers and brands, who create and ship their products. Also, Modalyst lists the items only after reviewing the quality of products.
Modalyst vs Spocket: Both Spocket and Modalyst have quality control in place. But, Spocket has a better catalog of products. This is more because of the focus of Modalyst on specific niches and categories of products.
Spocket vs Modalyst: Shipping
Spocket lists suppliers from the United States and Europe. User feedback indicates that Spocket has good quality control and fast shipping time. If your customers belong to the United States and Europe, Spocket will have a fast shipping time.
Modalyst suppliers tell you the processing and shipping time for their products.
If you offer faster shipping, contact the supplier in advance and work it out. But note that Modalyst suppliers are not obligated to provide this service. So, if you need faster shipping, ensure that you check with the supplier first.
Spocket vs Modalyst – Both Spocket and Modalyst have positive reviews about their shipping policies. It is a tie.
Spocket vs Modalyst: Pricing
Both Modalyst and Spocket have free plans for you to start. This means you can start your dropshipping business without any upfront commitment.
But, as you can guess, the free plans may not be enough for you as your business scales up.
So, let us look at the paid plans of these dropshipping platforms.
Spocket Pricing Plan
Spocket has four paid subscription plans. It starts at $12 per month. All four plans come with a 14 day trial period.
Spocket Starter Plan
- Costs $12 per month.
- You can add up to 25 unique products.
- You can have unlimited orders.
- Premium 24/7 Chat Support.
- Real-time Inventory Update.
- Currency Exchange.
- Global Pricing Rules
- Shipment Tracking Number
Spocket Pro Plan
- Costs $49 per month.
- You can add up to 250 unique products.
- Up to 25 Premium Products
- Branded Invoicing
- Premium 24/7 Chat Support
- Exclusive Deals
- Premium Search
- Plus Everything in Starter Plan
Spocket Empire Plan
- Costs $99 per month.
- Unlimited Products
- Unlimited Orders
- Unlimited Premium Products
- Premium 24/7 Chat Support
- Plus Everything in Pro Plan
Spocket Unicorn Plan
- Costs $299 per month.
- Bulk Checkout
- Dedicated Account Executive
- Premium 24/7 Chat Support
- Product Requests
- Plus Everything in Empire Plan
If you opt for the annual plan, Spocket offers its Pro, Empire, and Unicorn plan at an impressive discount. To be specific, if you pay upfront annual fees, you get these plans free for up to 5 months.
Modalyst Pricing Plan
In comparison with Spocket, Modalyst has only two paid plans. The paid plans start from $35 per month. If you opt for the annual plan, you get a 25% discount.
As for features, the two paid plans are alike to the free or Hobby plan. They differ only in the number of products and access to premium suppliers.
Some of the features that are common to all three plans are:
- Product import
- Real-time product and inventory update
- Order tracking
- Pricing calculators
Now, let us look into the details of the two paid plans of Modalyst.
Modalyst Start-Up Plan
- All features.
- 250 product limit.
- Non-premium suppliers only.
- $35 per month ($30 if paid for a year)
Modalyst Pro Plan
- All features.
- Unlimited products.
- Premium suppliers.
- $90 per month ($67 for upfront annual payment)
A key feature to note is, for all Modalyst plans you need to pay a 5% transaction fee.
Modalyst vs Spocket: This is a subjective decision. Still, with all features similar, a 5% transaction fee for Modalyst does not impress me. Spocket wins.
Spocket vs Modalyst – Summary
In this section, we will provide a summary of the features we compared in a tabular form. This will help you to identify the better platform between Spocket and Modalyst.
|Branded Invoice||Paid Plan||Free|
|Supports BigCommerce, Wix||No||Yes|
|Suppliers and Product Catalog||Many||Niche|
|Free Sign Up||Yes||Yes|
|Visit Spocket||Visit Modalyst|
You should select Spocket if:
- You are looking for a platform with zero transaction fee.
- You want to sell quality products across niches.
- You run a Shopify or WooCommerce store.
You should select Modalyst if:
- You sell products that Modalyst specializes in.
- You run a Shopify, BigCommerce, or Wix store.
Spocket vs Modalyst: Final Thoughts
In this article, we have looked into the various features of Modalyst and Spocket. We are sure that now it will be easy for you to decide which dropshipping platform is more suitable for you.
I found Spocket to be a better dropshipping platform in general. As Spocket does not have any transaction fee, this will be friendlier to your pocket in the long run. Also, if you are running a WooCommerce store, Spocket may be the only reliable option for you.
Still, if you want to tap into any of the niches that Modalyst specializes you can give it a try. But ensure that you are running your store on one of the supported platforms.
If you want my suggestion, I recommend Spocket as a better dropshipping platform. If you are still undecided, go ahead and join Spocket for free. Browse its catalog to check the products. Navigate the platform and play around to find out if it will work for you.
I am sure it will!
Are you using Spocket or Modalyst as a dropshipping platform for your business? How did the platforms work for you? Let us know your comments.
Also, if this Spocket vs Modalyst helped you, please share it among your tribe!
Related to Spocket vs Modalyst
Download our eCommerce Setup Checklist for FREE.