Reliable suppliers are the key to any successful dropshipping business. Your success as a dropshipper heavily depends on the quality and reliability of your suppliers. This is why platforms like Spocket and Modalyst become necessary for your dropshipping business.
In this Modalyst vs Spocket comparison we will bring out their differences to find out which is better for you.
Modalyst vs Spocket
- Importing products
- Supported platforms
- Supplier quality
- Shipping time
- Pricing and fees
- Key differences
Spocket vs Modalyst – Differences in Onboarding
The first step towards using Spocket or Modalyst is creating an account on the platform. So, here will check the ease of onboarding on these platforms.
Getting started with Spocket
Getting started with Spocket is super simple.
- Visit the Spocket website.
- Click on the button Sign up for free now.
- Provide your name and email address to create an account in Spocket. If you prefer to use unified logins, you can even connect to Spocket using your Gmail or Facebook account.
- As an optional step, you can even specify the products you intend to sell.
As you can see, you can sign up for a Spocket account free of any upfront charge or need for a credit card.
Getting started with Modalyst
Getting started with Modalyst also follows a similar approach.
- Visit the Modalyst website.
- Click on the button Start for Free.
- Provide your name and email to sign up.
- You must also select if you are a retailer or a supplier.
- After you click on the Start For Free button on this signup form, you will have to provide some more information like
- Name of your business.
- The location of your customer base.
- Primary categories of goods that you want to sell.
- eCommerce platform you use.
Modalyst also lets you sign up for free, but the registration process needs more information even to test the system.
Verdict: Spocket has a more streamlined and customer-centric registration process than Modalyst. Spocket wins.
Spocket vs Modalyst – Differences in Importing Products
After you create an account and connect your store with a dropshipping platform, you must import products to your shop for selling.
Let us find out how you can import products from Spocket and Modalyst.
Importing products from Spocket
You can import products from Spocket to your store with these steps:
- Login to your Spocket account.
- Search the product that you want to sell.
- Hover over the product listing and click Add to Import List.
- Head over to Import List and view the product.
- Click on Push to Store to import the products to your store.
- Visit the Product List page and click on View Listing. This will let you see the item on your Shopify or WooCommerce store.
Importing products from Modalyst
Importing products from Modalyst is also straight forward.
- Login to your Modalyst dashboard.
- Click on Find Products.
- Search the products you want to import.
- When you have shortlisted a product, click on the button Add to Import list.
- After adding a product to your import list, you can edit its descriptions before pushing it to your store.
- You can push individual or bulk products to your store from the import list.
Verdict: It is a tie. Both Spocket and Modalyst offer similar ease and features to import products.
Spocket vs Modalyst – Differences In Branding Abilities
If you want to promote your own brand, ensure that your supplier is invisible to your customers. One of the several ways to achieve this is using branded invoices in dropshipping.
Here, we will see which is the more business-friendly platform between Spocket and Modalyst.
Branding with Spocket
You can set up branded invoices in Spocket with the following steps:
- Log in to your Spocket account.
- Click on Settings.
- Navigate to the Branded Invoicing tab and enable branded invoicing.
- Provide the contact email and phone number.
- If you are on a paid subscription plan, you can even add a logo and a personalized note.
You must note that branded invoices are not currently available for all suppliers on Spocket. You must check the product description to see if the supplier supports branded invoicing.
Branded Invoices with Modalyst
Like Spocket, Modalyst also does not include any links to the supplier in the invoices. So, all information about your supplier will anyway be invisible to your customers.
A sample Modalyst invoice will look like this:
Both Modalyst and Spocket offer similar features for branding and customization.
Verdict: You can add your logo and a personalized note only with a paid Spocket plan. Moreover, all suppliers on Spocket do not support branded invoicing at present. In comparison, Modalyst offers customized invoices even with the free plan. Modalyst is the clear winner here.
Spocket vs Modalyst – Differences in Platforms Supported
One key advantage of using a dropshipping platform is the ease of integration. So, before choosing a platform, it is necessary to check if it supports your eCommerce software.
Unless you are starting your business from scratch, this can often be the deciding factor.
Platforms supported by Spocket
Spocket supports the following platforms:
You can import products to your store and automate order processing on all these platforms. If you are using any of these popular eCommerce platforms, Spocket has you covered.
Platforms supported by Modalyst
On the other hand, Modalyst supports Shopify, BigCommerce, and Wix.
There is seamless integration between Modalyst and all these eCommerce platforms.
However, considering the market share of WooCommerce, we have no idea why Modalyst does not support it. So, if you run your shop on WooCommerce, you cannot use Modalyst. Even if everything else impresses you, Modalyst is not an option to look at.
Verdict: If you are using Shopify for your store, you can use either Spocket or Modalyst. But, if you are using anything else, your option gets limited. Considering its support for more eCommerce platforms, I will give the edge to Spocket.
Spocket vs Modalyst – Differences in Supplier Quality
The success of any dropshipping business heavily depends on the quality and reliability of your suppliers. So, it is necessary to work with a dropshipping platform having more reliable suppliers.
Here we will discuss the quality of suppliers in Spocket and Modalyst.
Spocket is a platform that lets you sell quality products from US and EU suppliers. User testimonials tell us that products listed on Spocket have amazing quality. The suppliers are vetted and rated in Spocket.
Modalyst lists a curated selection of international and independent suppliers specializing in fashion apparel and accessories. Recently Modalyst has also expanded to home goods, beauty products and, electronics niche.
Modalyst works with suppliers from all over the world. But, the majority of suppliers on this platform are from the United States.
One important thing to note is that none of the suppliers on Modalyst are wholesalers. Modalyst works with independent designers and brands who create and ship their products. Moreover, Modalyst lists the items only after reviewing the quality of products.
Verdict: Both Spocket and Modalyst have similar quality control in place. But, Spocket has a longer catalog of products. This is more because of the focus of Modalyst on specific niches and categories of products. Spocket Wins for me.
Spocket vs Modalyst – Differences In Shipping Time
Shipping Time Of Spocket
Spocket lists suppliers from the United States and Europe. User feedback indicates that Spocket has good control over quality and a fast shipping time.
If your customers belong to the United States and Europe, they will receive the products fast.
Shipping Time Of Modalyst
Modalyst suppliers inform you about the processing and shipping time for their products in the catalog itself.
If you offer faster shipping on your store, you must contact the supplier in advance and work it out. But note that Modalyst suppliers are not obligated to provide this service. So, if you need faster shipping, ensure that you check with the supplier first.
Verdict: It is a tie. Both Spocket and Modalyst have positive reviews about the shipping time.
Spocket vs Modalyst – Pricing and Fees
As we saw, both Modalyst and Spocket have free plans for you to start.
This means you can start your dropshipping business without any upfront investment. But, the free plans may not be enough for you as your business scales up.
Here, we will look at the different paid plans of Spocket and Modalyst.
Spocket has four paid subscription plans.
Spocket pricing starts at $24 per month. All four plans come with a 14 day trial period. You also get a substantial discount if you opt for an annual plan.
Spocket Starter Plan
- $24 per month.
- You can add up to 25 unique products.
- You can have unlimited orders.
- Email Support.
- Real-time Inventory Update.
- Currency Exchange.
- Global Pricing Rules.
- Shipment Tracking Number.
Spocket Pro Plan
- $49 per month.
- You can add up to 250 unique products.
- Up to 25 Premium Products.
- Branded Invoicing.
- Premium 24/7 Chat Support.
- Exclusive Deals.
- Premium Search.
- Plus everything in the Starter Plan.
Spocket Empire Plan
- $99 per month.
- 10000 products.
- 10000 unique products.
- Unlimited Orders.
- Unlimited Premium Products.
- Premium 24/7 Chat Support.
- Plus everything in the Pro Plan.
Spocket Unicorn Plan
- $299 per month.
- Bulk Checkout.
- Dedicated Account Executive.
- Premium 24/7 Chat Support.
- Product Requests.
- Plus everything in the Empire Plan.
If you pay upfront annual fees, you get these plans free for up to 5 months. Moreover, Spocket charges a 5% transaction fee to cover the order processing fees if the supplier maintains warehouses in the US and China.
In comparison, Modalyst has only two paid plans.
The paid plans start from $35 per month. If you opt for the annual plan, you get a 25% discount.
As for features, there is no difference between the paid plans and the free or Hobby plan. They differ only in the number of products you can sell and your access to premium suppliers.
Some of the Modalyst features are common to all plans are:
- Product import.
- Real-time product and inventory update.
- Order tracking.
- Pricing calculators.
Now, let us look into the details of the two paid plans of Modalyst.
Modalyst Start-Up Plan
- All features.
- 250 product limit.
- Access to non-premium suppliers only.
- $35 per month ($30 if paid for a year).
Modalyst Pro Plan
- All features.
- Unlimited products.
- Premium suppliers.
- $90 per month ($67 for upfront annual payment).
You must also note that you have to pay a 5% transaction fee in all Modalyst plans.
Verdict: Do your own math. But, even with every feature similar, a 5% transaction fee every order with Modalyst does not impress me.
Spocket vs Modalyst – Key Differences
Here, let us summarize the key differences between Spocket and Modalyst for a ready reference.
|Supports BigCommerce, Wix||No||Yes|
|Visit Spocket||Visit Modalyst|
You may choose Spocket if:
- You are looking for a platform with zero* transaction fees.
- You want to sell quality products across niches.
- Your store runs on any of the platforms supported by Spocket.
- You do not want to pay any transaction fee.
* Spocket charges a 5% transaction fee to cover the order processing fees if the supplier maintains warehouses in the US and China.
You may choose Modalyst if:
- You sell products that Modalyst specializes in.
- You run a BigCommerce or Wix store.
- You are ok to pay transaction fees over and above the subscription price.
Wrapping Up Our List Of Differences Between Spocket and Modalyst
Both Spocket and Modalyst are good choices as dropshipping platforms. If you run your store on Shopify, you have support from both. But, your options become limited if you use anything other than Shopify.
But with its impressive list of quality suppliers and a larger catalog of products, Spocket is definitely a pocket-friendly option you must explore.