Spocket vs Modalyst – Why Should You Compare?
Reliable suppliers are the key to any successful dropshipping business. This is why you must be very careful in choosing your suppliers. While you can research suppliers of your own, dropshipping platforms makes it easier. In this article, we will look into two such dropshipping platforms.
Spocket and Modalyst.
This Spocket vs Modalyst scorecard will help you find out which is the perfect choice for you.
How Spocket or Modalyst Makes Dropshipping Easier?
Before diving into the Spocket vs Modalyst scorecard, let’s see how Spocket or Modalyst makes dropshipping easier.
Partnering with a good dropshipping platform has several advantages. For example,
- Dropshipping platforms do not restrict you to the catalog of any single supplier. Platforms like Spocket or Modalyst lets you find and sell a variety of products from many suppliers.
- In dropshipping platforms, suppliers are individually vetted. Store owners like you review the suppliers and rate them. So, it becomes easy for you to shortlist the best supplier with whom you can partner with.
- Platforms like Modalyst or Spocket has inbuilt bolt-on apps for different eCommerce platforms. This allows you to integrate the platforms with your shop very easily. In other words, you can avoid hassles of tweaking your storefront for integration.
This is all the primer that we need for this Spocket vs Modalyst comparison. If you need more information on the basics of dropshipping, read what is dropshipping.
Let us now see the details of Spocket and Modalyst to find which is the better dropshipping platform.
What are we going to read in this Spocket vs Modalyst scorecard?
In this Modalyst vs Spocket comparison we will focus on the following:
Please note that some of the links in this Spocket vs Modalyst comparison are our affiliate links. If you buy something following these links, we will receive a small commission.
Spocket vs Modalyst: An Introduction
We will start this article with a brief informative history of the two platforms.
Founded in 2017, Spocket has quickly gained impressive popularity. Spocket says that it is the platform that allows you to dropship quality products from handpicked US and European suppliers. As a platform, Spocket supports both Shopify and WooCommerce.
Modalyst, on the other hand, was founded in 2012. Modalyst says that it is the platform that makes it simple for an online store to list and sell an array of niche products. As a platform, Modalyst officially integrates with Wix, Shopify, and BigCommerce.
Let us now dive into details of the features of these two dropshipping platforms. The goal of this Spocket vs Modalyst comparison is to find which is the better platform of the two.
Spocket vs Modalyst: Getting Started
We will begin this comparison between Spocket and Modalyst with the basics. Let us first look into the steps you should follow to create an account in these two platforms.
Getting started with Spocket
Getting started with Spocket is super simple. Visit the Spocket website.
- Click on the button Sign up for free now.
- You must provide your name and email address to create an account in Spocket. Optionally, you can specify the products you intend to sell. If you want, you can even connect to Spocket using your Gmail or Facebook account.
- To import a product from Spocket, you must connect your store with Spocket.
The thing to note is you can sign up for a Spocket account free of any upfront charge or need of a credit card.
Getting started with Modalyst
Getting started with Modalyst also follows a similar approach.
- Visit the Modalyst website.
- Click on the button Start for Free.
- Provide your name and email to sign up. You must also select if you are a retailer or a supplier.
- After you click on the Start For Free button on this signup form, you will have to provide more information like
- Name of your business
- The location of your customer base.
- Categories you primarily sell.
- eCommerce platform you use.
Result: Modalyst registration flow needs more information even to test the system. In comparison, Spocket has a streamlined and easy registration process. For me, Spocket is the clear winner here.
Spocket vs Modalyst: Spocket wins
How to Import Products in Spocket or Modalyst
After you connect your store with Spocket or Modalyst, you must import products to your shop. In this section, we will see how to import products to your store from Modalyst vs Spocket.
Importing products from Spocket
With Spocket, you can import products to your store by following the steps below:
- Login to your Spocket account.
- Search the product that you want to sell.
- Hover over the product listing and click Add to Import List.
- Next, head over to Import List and view the product.
- Click on Push to Store to import the products to your store.
- Finally, visit the Product List page and click on View Listing. This will let you see the item on your Shopify or WooCommerce store.
Importing products from Modalyst
Importing products from Modalyst is also straight forward.
- Login to your Modalyst dashboard.
- Click on Find Products.
- Search the products you want to import.
- When you have shortlisted a product, click on the button Add to Import list.
- After adding a product to your import list, you can edit its descriptions before pushing it to your store.
- You can push individual or bulk products to your store from the import list.
Result: Both Spocket and Modalyst offer similar features. It is a tie between Spocket and Modalyst.
Modalyst vs Spocket: Tie
Spocket vs Modalyst: Which is Better for Branding
In a dropshipping business, ensure that your supplier is invisible to your customer. One of the many ways to achieve this is by using branded invoices for all your shipments.
Let us see between Spocket and Modalyst which is better.
How to create branded invoices with Spocket
With Spocket you can setup branded invoicing using the following steps:
- Log in to your Spocket account.
- Click on Settings.
- Navigate to the Branded Invoicing tab and enable branded invoicing.
- Provide the contact email and phone number.
- If you are on a paid subscription plan, you can add a logo and a personalized note.
Remember that branded invoicing is not currently available for all suppliers on Spocket. When you add a product to your import list, check if it supports branded invoicing. This information is available in the product description.
How to create branded invoices in Modalyst
Like Spocket, Modalyst also does not include any links to the supplier’s store in the invoices. So, the supplier’s information will anyway be invisible to your customers.
A sample invoice will look something like:
Result: Both Modalyst and Spocket offer similar features for branding and customization. But, you must note that you can add a logo and personalized note only with a paid Spocket plan. Also, as we said, all suppliers on Spocket do not support branded invoicing at present.
Modalyst offers customized invoices even with the free plan. It is because of this, I will give an edge to Modalyst.
Modalyst vs Spocket: Modalyst wins.
Platforms Supported by Spocket and Modalysts
In dropshipping you connect your store to Spocket or Modalyst. So, it is important to check if these platforms support your eCommerce software. Unless you are starting a store from scratch, this will often be the key deciding factor.
Spocket – WooCommerce, Shopify
Spocket supports Shopify and WooCommerce. You can import your products and automate order processing in both these platforms. If you are using either of these two popular eCommerce platforms, Spocket has you covered.
Modalyst – Shopify, BigCommerce, Wix
The Modalyst platform supports Shopify, BigCommerce, and Wix. The dropshipping platform integrates with these eCommerce platforms seamlessly.
Considering the market share of eCommerce platforms, you may wonder why Modalyst does not integrate with WooCommerce.
Result: This is a subjective decision. If you are using Shopify for your store, you can use either Spocket or Modalyst. But, if you are using anything else, you will run short of options. For me, considering the support for the WooCommerce platform, Spocket has an edge here.
Modalyst vs Spocket: Spocket wins.
Spocket vs Modalyst : Analysis of Supplier Quality
In a dropshipping business, you depend on the quality and integrity of your suppliers. It is important to work with a dropshipping platform having more reliable suppliers.
Spocket is a dropshipping platform that lets you sell quality products from US and EU suppliers. This may result in little expensive items. But this also indicates a stronger quality control.
User testimonials also tell us that products listed on Spocket have better quality. Shop owners like you rate the suppliers in Spocket to help you identify the better partner.
Modalyst lists a curated selection of international and independent suppliers. This dropshipping platform specializes in fashion apparel and accessories. Recently Modalyst has also expanded to home goods, beauty products and, electronics niche.
Modalyst works with suppliers from all over the world. But, the majority of suppliers on this platform are from the United States.
One important thing to note is none of the suppliers on Modalyst are wholesalers. Modalyst works with independent designers and brands. These suppliers create and ship their high-quality products. Modalyst lists the items on their platform after reviewing the quality of products.
Result: Both Spocket and Modalyst have high quality control in place. But, Spocket has a longer catalog of products. This is more because of the focus of Modalyst on specific niches and categories of products.
Modalyst vs Spocket: Spocket Wins
Spocket vs Modalyst: Who ships faster?
Spocket lists suppliers from the United States and Europe. User feedback indicates that Spocket has good quality control and fast shipping time. If your customers belong to the United States and Europe, Spocket will have a fast shipping time.
Modalyst suppliers tell you the processing and shipping time for their products.
If you offer faster shipping, contact the supplier in advance and work it out. But note that Modalyst suppliers are not obligated to provide this service. So, if you need faster shipping, ensure that you check with the supplier first.
Result: Both Spocket and Modalyst have positive reviews concerning their shipping policies.
Spocket vs Modalyst – Tie
Spocket vs Modalyst: Who has better Pricing Plan
Both Modalyst and Spocket has free plans for you to start. This means you can start your dropshipping business without any upfront commitment.
But, as you can guess, the free plans may not be enough for you as your business scales up.
So, let us look at the paid plans of these dropshipping platforms.
Spocket Pricing Plan
Spocket has four paid subscription plans. It starts at $12 per month. All four plans come with a 14 day trial period.
Spocket Starter Plan
- Costs $12 per month.
- You can add up to 25 unique products.
- You can have unlimited orders.
- Premium 24/7 Chat Support.
- Real-time Inventory Update.
- Currency Exchange.
- Global Pricing Rules
- Shipment Tracking Number
Spocket Pro Plan
- Costs $49 per month.
- You can add up to 250 unique products.
- Up to 25 Premium Products
- Branded Invoicing
- Premium 24/7 Chat Support
- Exclusive Deals
- Premium Search
- Plus Everything in Starter Plan
Spocket Empire Plan
- Costs $99 per month.
- Unlimited Products
- Unlimited Orders
- Unlimited Premium Products
- Premium 24/7 Chat Support
- Plus Everything in Pro Plan
Spocket Unicorn Plan
- Costs $299 per month.
- Bulk Checkout
- Dedicated Account Executive
- Premium 24/7 Chat Support
- Product Requests
- Plus Everything in Empire Plan
If you opt for the annual plan, Spocket offers its Pro, Empire, and Unicorn plan at an impressive discount. To be specific, if you pay upfront annual fees, you get these plans free for up to 5 months.
Modalyst Pricing Plan
In comparison with Spocket, Modalyst has only two paid plans. The paid plans start from $35 per month. If you opt for the annual plan, you get a 25% discount.
In terms of features, the two paid plans are completely similar to the free or Hobby plan. They differ only in the number of products and access to premium suppliers.
Some of the features that are common to all three plans are:
- Product import
- Real time product and inventory update
- Order tracking
- Pricing calculators
Now, let us look into the details of the two paid plans of Modalyst.
Modalyst Start Up Plan
- All features.
- 250 product limit.
- Non-premium suppliers only.
- $35 per month ($30 if paid annually)
Modalyst Pro Plan
- All features.
- Unlimited products.
- Premium suppliers.
- $90 per month ($67 if paid annually)
A key feature to note is, for all Modalyst plans you need to pay a 5% transaction fee.
Result: This is a subjective decision. Still, with all features similar, a 5% transaction fee for Modalyst does not impress me.
Modalyst vs Spocket: Spocket wins.
Which is the better Dropshipping Platform between Spocket and Modalyst?
In this section, we will provide a summary of the features we compared in a tabular form. This will help you to identify the better platform between Spocket and Modalyst.
Spocket vs Modalyst – Comparison of Features
|Simple Account Creation||Yes||No|
|Automated Product Import||Yes||Yes|
|Completely Branded Invoices||Paid||Free|
|Supports BigCommerce, Wix||No||Yes|
|Visit Spocket||Visit Modalyst|
Spocket vs Modalyst: Final Thoughts
In this article, we have looked into the various features of Modalyst and Spocket. We are sure that now it will be easy for you to decide which dropshipping platform is more suitable for you.
I found Spocket to be a better dropshipping platform in general. As Spocket does not have any transaction fee, this will be friendlier to your pocket in the long run. Also, if you are running a WooCommerce store, Spocket is the only option for you.
Still, if you want to tap into any of the niches that Modalyst specializes you can give it a try. But ensure that you are running your store on one of the supported platforms.
If you want my suggestion, I recommend Spocket as a better dropshipping platform. If you are still undecided, go ahead and join Spocket for free. Browse its catalog to check the products. Navigate the platform and play around to find out if it will work for you.
I am sure it will!
Are you using Spocket or Modalyst as a dropshipping platform for your business? How did the platforms work for you? Let us know your comments. Also, if this Spocket vs Modalyst helped you, please share it among your tribe!
Related To Spocket vs Modalyst:
- Spocket vs Oberlo
- Dropshipping for Beginners with Spocket and Shopify
- What is Dropshipping?
- How To Use Printful to Dropship Custom Products
- How to start a T-shirt business with no money?
Download our eCommerce Setup Checklist for FREE.