But before jumping directly into the Spocket vs Oberlo comparison, we will first look into the basics of dropshipping. We will also see why you need Spocket or Oberlo for a successful dropshipping business.
In our earlier article on dropshipping, we had explained what is dropshipping and the major pros and cons of a dropshipping business. In short, dropshipping is a model of fulfillment in which the store owner does not stock the products in his own inventory. Instead, he integrates his store with a supplier for fulfillment.
When his end customer places an order, he buys the product from the supplier. The supplier, in turn, takes care of the fulfillment and logistics. This means, the supplier ships the products to the end customer on behalf of the store owner.
In simple words, in dropshipping, the store owner sells an item without even stocking the product in his own inventory.
In terms of statistics, dropshipping is a popular business model today. In fact, many successful store owners are actually running their shops by dropshipping.
To start a dropshipping business, primarily you need:
- An online storefront built on an eCommerce platform (preferably Shopify or WooCommerce).
- Integration with suppliers who can handle the white label fulfillment on your behalf.
Theoretically, you can integrate your storefront with any supplier you choose. The basic steps you will follow in such cases will be:
- Perform due diligence to find a reliable supplier.
- Test sample products for quality control.
- Optionally, make necessary technical changes in your storefront to automate the integration.
But the usual practice in a dropshipping business is to connect the store with one or more supplier marketplaces. We will call these marketplaces as dropshipping platforms.
The advantages of using dropshipping platforms are manifolds. Just to give you a perspective –
- With dropshipping platforms, you can find many products from different suppliers to choose from. You are not restricted to the catalog of a single supplier.
- These platforms often have inbuilt bolt-on apps for different eCommerce platforms. This will let you integrate the platforms with your shop very easily. So you can avoid the hassle of tweaking your storefront technology.
In terms of number, there are many dropshipping platforms available for your business. But, as we said, we are going to focus on only two of those in this post.
Spocket and Oberlo.
To be more precise, we are going to put them against each other and figure out which one fits your needs.
In this article, we are going to look into the features of Spocket and Oberlo in detail. Our goal is to find which is the better dropshipping platform between these two.
This Spocket Vs Oberlo comparison will tell you out how these two stacks against each other.
Please note that some of the links on this article are our affiliate links. This means, if you click on these links and complete a buy – we will receive a commission.
Spocket Vs Oberlo
History of Oberlo
If you try to search dropshipping suppliers for your Shopify store, chances are you will land up at Oberlo. This well-known dropshipping platform had started its journey in 2015 as an independent entity. But two years later Shopify had acquired it. At present, Oberlo operates under the Shopify banner.
History of Spocket
Spocket, on the other hand, is a newcomer. It was founded in 2017 but quickly gained enough traction among the consumers. It projects itself as the dropshipping platform that allows you to find quality products from handpicked US and European suppliers.
Both Spocket and Oberlo make it easy to find products to sell online. Both have a huge inventory of products which you can import to your online store.
But, when compared with each other – how do they perform? In other words, which is the better dropshipping platform between Spocket and Oberlo? This article will precisely tell you that!
Spocket vs Oberlo : Getting Started
The first thing that we will check is how to start using these dropshipping platforms.
Getting started with Spocket
Getting started with Spocket is easy.
- Head over to the Spocket website.
- Click on the button Sign up for free now.
- You can create an account in Spocket using your name and email. Optionally, you can specify the products you intend to sell.
- Alternatively, you can log in using your Gmail or Facebook account.
- But before you can import a product you need to connect your store with Spocket.
The thing to note is you can sign up for a Spocket account without any credit card or registration charges.
Getting started with Oberlo
Getting started with Oberlo is also insanely easy.
- Head over to the Oberlo website.
- Click on the button Get Oberlo for free.
- Sign up with an Oberlo account with an email and password.
Oberlo does not allow you to sign up with Gmail or Facebook. So, if you want to maintain same credentials across platforms, Spocket wins. But for me, this actually does not matter. I prefer to keep things separate.
Also, note that just like Spocket you can sign up for an Oberlo account without any upfront investment. Besides, you can signup to Oberlo from your Shopify dashboard using the Oberlo App.
Therefore, both Spocket and Oberlo are similar in terms of effort, investment, and time required to create an account. We do not have any clear winner here.
Spocket vs Oberlo : Importing Products
Let us assume that you have a running storefront and have an account with Oberlo or Spocket. Let us also assume that you also know the type of products you want to sell online.
Let us find out how to import the products to your store.
How to import products in Spocket
If you are using Spocket, you can import products to your store by following the steps below:
- Login to your Spocket account.
- Search the product that you want to sell.
- Hover over the product listing and click Add to Import List.
- Next, head over to Import List and view the product.
- Click on Push to Store to import the products to your store.
- Finally, visit the Product List page and click on View Listing. This will let you see the item on your Shopify or WooCommerce store.
How to import products in Oberlo
Oberlo also lets you import products to your store using similar steps.
- Log in to your Shopify store as the administrator.
- If you have the Oberlo app installed, skip to the next step. Otherwise, install the Oberlo app on your Shopify store.
- Click on the Oberlo app from the list of installed Apps.
- Search for the product that you are going to sell.
- Click on Add to Import.
- After you have added all your products to your import list, click on the list. Review and click on Add to Store.
- Before importing to your store, you can update the price, description, and other product attributes.
So, Spocket vs Oberlo – who wins?
As you can see both Spocket and Oberlo provide similar features and automation to import products to your store. So, again, we do not have a clear winner here between Spocket and Oberlo.
Spocket vs Oberlo : Branding and Customization
One of the key requirements of any dropshipping business is that your supplier must ship the products on your behalf. In other words, your supplier should remain invisible to your end customer.
Let us check how Spocket and Oberlo perform on this parameter.
Branded invoices with Spocket
With Spocket you can setup branded invoicing using the following steps:
- Log in to your Spocket account.
- Click on Settings.
- Navigate to the Branded Invoicing tab and enable branded invoicing.
- Provide the contact email and phone number.
- If you are on a paid subscription plan, you can add a logo and a personalized note.
You must note that branded invoicing is not currently available for all suppliers on Spocket. When you add a product to your import list, check if it supports branded invoicing. This information is available in the product description.
Branded invoices with Oberlo
Coming to Oberlo, we did not find an easy option to send branded invoices with your shipment. What Oberlo suggests is to include a note to your supplier indicating that you are dropshipping and do not want them to include any invoices or promotional material in the shipments.
You can set this note in the custom note section with the following steps.
- Login to your Shopify dashboard.
- Click on Oberlo from your list of installed apps.
- Click on settings.
- Click on suppliers.
- Scroll down to find the custom note section.
- Add your note. Oberlo will send this note to the supplier. The default text says – I’m dropshipping. Please DO NOT put any invoices, QR codes, promotions or your brand name logo in the shipments. Please ship as soon as possible for repeat business. Thank you!
Spocket vs Oberlo – Who won here?
In my opinion, Spocket has a definite edge when it comes to branding or customizing your shipments. While a custom note to your supplier may prevent him from sending his own promotions, this does not let you send your own custom invoices.
Result: Spocket wins.
Spocket vs Oberlo : Platforms Supported
It is important to know which eCommerce platforms you can use with Spocket and Oberlo.
Which platforms are supported by Oberlo?
While you must have already guessed, Oberlo works only with Shopify. This means, if you run your online store on WooCommerce – you are out of luck. So, the bottom line is you must have an active Shopify subscription to use Oberlo.
If you have a Shopify account, you can install the free Oberlo app and start using Oberlo right away.
Which platforms are supported by Spocket?
Like Oberlo, Spocket supports Shopify. But, it also supports the WooCommerce platform. You can import your products and automate the order processing in both these eCommerce platforms.
The bottom line is if you are running a store with Shopify you can use both Oberlo and Spocket. But, if your store is running on WooCommerce, you can use only Spocket.
Coming back to our question. Spocket vs Oberlo – which is the better platform based on the platforms supported?
Well, let me be very unbiased here. This is a subjective parameter. It depends solely on the eCommerce platform that you want to use for your store.
But, I prefer to have more options. And so, if we do a head to head Spocket vs Oberlo comparison, in my opinion, Spocket is the clear winner.
Result: Spocket wins.
Spocket vs Oberlo : Sourcing of Products
In dropshipping, you integrate your store with the supplier marketplace. So, the products you can list in your store are limited by what your suppliers can fulfill.
This means that before choosing a dropshipping supplier, you may want to check from where the products are sourced.
From where does Spocket source its products?
Spocket projects itself as a dropshipping platform that helps you to find quality products from US and EU suppliers. This may result in slightly expensive items. But it also assures you a better quality control.
According to testimonials, Spocket provides products having better quality than its competition. The suppliers are vetted individually. Interviewed and evaluated.
From where does Oberlo source its products?
On the other hand, Oberlo lets you import products from AliExpress. Now if you are not aware of AliExpress, here is a primer.
AliExpress is a big marketplace based out of China. You can find many vendors selling lots of products in AliExpress. Now, each of these vendors will have different service and shipping options.
While Chinese products may be a cheaper option for you, do not expect strict quality control. You need to test samples and take a call before selecting your supplier.
In short, Spocket has better quality control over products and suppliers than Oberlo.
Again, Spocket vs Oberlo – who wins if we consider the product sourcing?
Like the earlier paramater, this is also a subjective decision. It depends on how you look at it. But, for me, considering all scenarios, I will give an edge to Spocket.
Winner: Spocket wins.
Spocket vs Oberlo : Shipping Time
Shipping time for Spocket
Spocket lists suppliers from the United States and Europe. The general feedback suggests that Spocket usually has better quality control. It also has a faster shipping time. While Spocket does not have a huge catalog as Oberlo, your customers will receive products faster.
Shipping time for Oberlo
On the other hand, Oberlo ships products from Chinese suppliers. For customers in the United States, Canada, or Europe this may lead to long shipping time. At the same time, there may be an issue with quality control.
There is no comparison here.
Winner: Spocket wins.
Spocket vs Oberlo : Pricing
As we saw earlier, both Oberlo and Spocket has a free plan. You can start your dropshipping business free of cost. But, chances are the free plan features may not be sufficient for you as you scale. So, it is time to look at their respective subscription plans.
Spocket Pricing Plan
Spocket offers you four paid subscriptions starting from $12 per month. All four plans come with a 14 day trial period.
Spocket Starter Plan
- Costs $12 per month.
- You can add up to 25 unique products.
- You can have unlimited orders.
- Premium 24/7 Chat Support.
- Real-time Inventory Update.
- Currency Exchange.
- Global Pricing Rules
- Shipment Tracking Number
Spocket Pro Plan
- Costs $49 per month.
- You can add up to 250 unique products.
- Up to 25 Premium Products
- Branded Invoicing
- Premium 24/7 Chat Support
- Exclusive Deals
- Premium Search
- Plus Everything in Starter Plan
Spocket Empire Plan
- Costs $99 per month.
- Unlimited Products
- Unlimited Orders
- Unlimited Premium Products
- Premium 24/7 Chat Support
- Plus Everything in Pro Plan
Spocket Unicorn Plan
- Costs $299 per month.
- Bulk Checkout
- Dedicated Account Executive
- Premium 24/7 Chat Support
- Product Requests
- Plus Everything in Empire Plan
Oberlo Pricing Plan
Oberlo, on the other hand, offers three pricing plans.
Oberlo Starter Plan
- Up to 500 products.
- Unlimited monthly orders.
- Automated product pricing.
- Automated inventory updates.
Oberlo Basic Plan
- $29.90 per month
- Up to 10000 products.
- Variant mapping.
- Bulk orders.
- Real-time order tracking.
- Affiliate program.
- Orders fulfillment tracking.
- Plus everything in Oberlo Starter plan
Oberlo Pro Plan
- $79.90 per month
- Up to 30000 products.
- Multiple staff accounts.
- Plus everything in Oberlo Pro plan
Note that you need an active Shopify subscription for using Oberlo. Shopify’s basic plan starts from $29 per month.
We probably do not have a clear winner here. You need to do your own math and figure out which one works out for you.
Spocket vs Oberlo – Final Thoughts
With this Spocket vs Oberlo feature comparisons, I have compared the features of Spocket with those of Oberlo.
While Shopify is the leading hosted eCommerce platform, chances are you are running your shop on an equally popular WooCommerce. In such a scenario, Oberlo is simply not an option for you. Oberlo does not work with WooCommerce.
But, if you are using Shopify, you can use this article to conclude which is the better dropshipping platform between Spocket and Oberlo.
Considering the quality control, branding, and shipping time – I found Spocket to be the better option here.
Which one would you prefer between Spocket and Oberlo? Let me know your comments. Also, if you found this Spocket vs Oberlo scorecard helpful, please feel free to share it with your peers!
- How To Find A Product To Sell Online
- What is Dropshipping?
- How to write eCommerce product descriptions that sell?
Download our eCommerce Setup Checklist for FREE.